Wednesday, April 16

Angels in America


"I had a book of Bible stories when I was a kid. There was a picture I'd look at twenty times every day: Jacob wrestles with the angel. I don't really remember the story, or why the wrestling --just the picture. Jacob is young and very strong. The angel is...a beautiful man, with golden hair and wings, of course. I still dream about it. Many nights. I'm...It's me. In that struggle. Fierce, and unfair. The angel is not human, and it holds nothing back, so how could anyone human win, what kind of a fight is that? It's not just. Losing means your soul thrown down in the dust, your heart torn out from God's. But you can't not lose." - Joe Harper, gay Mormon, in Angels in America

5 comments:

  1. A note I received from a straight, female, Jewish friend:
    "The "Shades of Gay" blog you linked to (very clever name, by the way) is also incredibly well-written & philosophical. Is that ***** or someone else you know? Please pass on my bravo on their "Saints & Sinners" post as it eloquently targets why I've never been able to accept organized religion in general... those contradictions. & the latest post about "goodbye, friend" made me cry with so much feeling for this unknown writer & for you & for your friends struggling with being gay & being Mormon..."

    Just thought you should know how awesome you are and that your blog touches people, even non Mormons and non homosexuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture. It's beautiful.

    I don't quite agree with the sentiment, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a Mormon and have very specific evidence showing it is not the way of the Lord. However, it is clear that many within "chritian religions" struggle with the temptation of same sex attraction - just as others struggle with temptations such as adultry, hate, etc... One might say "its not the same" and you are right. None of the temptations we are faced with are just like the others. Satan tempted Jesus in three different ways hoping to strike a weak spot. The bottom line is that the scriptures are very clear that God never intended for same sex marrage. Do we trust in God's ways or do we make our own? Our father wants the best for us, His ways, therefore, should be desired, even when we don't understand. Desire His ways and you will find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel against Jacob is Lucifer, not the less beautiful in fact.
    One cannot reduce paederasty to 'same gender attraction' without thinking that human is not free. Paederasty is a social result. There is of course no praise in the Gospels of gay sex but there is no praise of sex or politics in general.

    ReplyDelete